As you may know, we have worked very hard on the successor of Qubicle Constructor for quite some time now. It took us so long because we have rewritten every single line of source code to incorporate all your feedback and the experience we made with QC1 to create the best product possible. We want to thank you for your support and all the thoughts and opinions you shared with us. You made this possible!
Though there are still a lot of features missing, some of them quite obviously, we thought it’s time to finally lift the curtain and present what we have achieved so far.
In short Qubicle 2 Beta 1 includes:
- New UI design: get quick access to your favorite actions, swatches and tools. Assign keyboard shortcuts for nearly everything.
- New data model: structure your models by grouping objects and building object hierarchies. Lock objects to avoid modification.
- Improved tool handling: Use all tools in all edit modes, draw on walls, draw freehand lines, draw across multiple matrices in a single stroke.
- New matrix editor: edit single slices directly in 3d. Use the new Auto 2d mode to work on an automatically picked 2d canvas.
- New and improved modifiers: Align and distribute objects, use boolean operations, transform objects relative to your viewing direction, and many more
The official video
Watch the following video made by Tim Wesoly the developer of Qubicle 2 showing and explaining the new features. And please excuse his terrible German accent and the boring presentation, he’s a great developer, but entertainer, not so much.
Detailed list of new features
- New flexible user-interface
- Open/save all supported file formats directly without import/export
- Easy keyboard assignment
- Improved OS clipboard handling
- Quick access bar
- New object type “Compound” enabling object hierarchy
- New modifiers including Invert, Sepia, Fill, Extend, Enlarge, Align/Distribute, Boolean operations Union, Intersection, Difference
- Mesh export pivots
- Improved detached handling
- Context sensitive translation, flipping, rotating
- Improved display option handling
- Camera light
- Improved tool handling including tool options, drawing on walls, freehand drawing in all edit modes, integrated slice edit mode, new auto slice mode, voxel highlighting
- Object highlighting/manipulation
- Object locking
- Improved swatch map handling including ASE (Adobe Swatch Exchange) import, auto names, favorites
- New logging system including warning/error messages
Still missing basic features
- Color mixer
- Swatch map customization
Still to come
- More tools: Rectangle, Box, Sphere, Pyramid, Extrude, Plant, Paint, Ring
- 2d and 3d brushes
- New object type Map for very large object handling
- First person view (map only)
- New object type Terrain / Heightmap Layer (map only)
- Chunk import/export (map only)
- New voxel mode Blocks (aka poxels, aka textured voxels)
- New voxel mode Parts
- Minecraft .schematic import/export
- OBJ, STL, Collada, FBX export with mesh optimization
- More voxel importers/exporters
- Object hierachy outliner
- UI skinning
How to get Qubicle 2 Beta 1
The Beta 1 is closed and can only be downloaded by our customers. If you own a license of Qubicle 1 you will get a newsletter containing the link to our new update center and the instructions to download the beta.
How to report bugs
If Qubicle 2 doesn’t work like it should or maybe not at all, please don’t panic. At this point in the development process it is unfortunately far from unlikely that you can run into serious problems, maybe your graphic card is not 100% compatible or you will get some nice, probably German, exceptions. That’s ok, we will deal with it.
To report bugs please use our new help desk. It is quite self-explanatory: create a new ticket and please add a screenshot and the contents of log.txt which you can find in the folder documents/Qubicle2/Beta1.
As soon as we have collected enough data we are able to create a knowledge base to help with frequent issues.
We hope you like Qubicle 2 as much as we do. It’s a giant step for us. If you like to give some feedback use the comment section below or our forum.
The Minddesk Team